Quick one-pot (but if you add the crispy onions, add a pan for this. You can also buy crispy onions from the store.
One cup of water
One cup rice
One cup lentils
3 onions (unless you are using the store-bought crispy onions)
1 full tbs cumin
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Take one chopped onion (I use my favorite can’t-live-without chopper)
2. sauté in a tablespoon of oil of your preference.
3. Once softened add lentils with two cups of water with lentils.
4. Boil for about 10 minutes. Once lentils are parboiled
5. add one cup of rice plus water just enough to cover.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes.
If you want the crispy onions, saute thin slices of onion for approximately 30 minutes. Or buy the ready-made crispy onions from the grocery store 🙂
Instant Pot Method: If you didn’t think Mujara could get ANY easier, wait for it….wait for it… The instant Pot method is here!
Hint: If you fried the onions, you can freeze the extra for your next meal. It will unfreeze perfectly. So easy!